Friday, February 22, 2008

Been there done that @ the Mobile World Congress.

Wow time flies, almost a week ago I packed my bags for the journey back to the Netherlands. Now back in my student life, with my Mobuzz morning ritual and my journeys with the wifi bus, I look back at Barcelona with a big smile on my face.

The first day at the MWC I noticed that I was probably one of the youngest persons at the congress. I figured that students ( like myself) must find this congress really interesting, but the Spanish media students weren't there. A bit odd, cause these students, will be part of the media world in a few years.

So what did a Young Media Investigator find at the Mobile World Congress? What did he find interesting, and what did he think was absolutely ****. Well let's start with the coolest hall. I think hall 7 was the best. The creative media companies, Ice cream and great cool demo's made this happen. Vizrt, yahoo and clip in touch are the winners in this hall.

Vizrt had these real cool real time 3d graphics. The football demo that Francois Laborie showed me was really cool. In this demo you could get information about different players from a team. But the design of this program was so User friendly, and was very clear that I needed to tell you all about Vizrt.

Yahoo? well besides they had very nice Ice cream with chocolate topping, yahoo also had the one-search application, which I found very interesting. This app allows you to get information just as fast as you'll get on your your desktop. The relevant links which yahoo provides are really relevant. Not just a random ad. OneSearch provides multiple ways to get the information you want, you could actually send a text to an number, to get an answer on your phone almost instantly. Within 3 clicks you could get to the same information. They also launched the GO3.0 Beta. Which actually is a very handy starting point on your mobile phone. I couldn't get an demo on this app, but it looked very interesting and it would be worth to have a look at there site.

Then I get to the point where I'm going to talk about probably the most cool demo I got at MWC. Clip in Touch, why was this so cool? Simply because this product is real easy to use and I could see myself use this. Clip in Touch is exactly what the name says. Clip in touch makes it possible to transform your desktop or mobile phone in your own production studio. Within a minute you can mix text, transitions, graphics, user generated content, music and video. So you could send an video clip to your friends. The results are very nice, and you don't have to be tecky at all. Clip in touch is a product everyone could use to surprise a friend in a very original way. Please have a look at there site for it may be become the way to "text" your friends. You could see clip in touch as MMS 2.0.


These companies had the most impact at me. But which other stands were worth visiting? In hall 2 you had a very cool stand Spinvox. Which allowed you to transform Voice in text. I couldn't get a demo from the product itself. But the pitch that was given was a nice scenario. If it works as the lady said, it will be an very handy tool. Think of Mobile blogging, or a journalist who has interviews very often.


Also Momac, a Dutch company who was in hall 7 impressed me with there demo. Momoc has made this tool where they can very easily make Mobile Websites. It was a very smart program they made, in which you can build the website in blox. If you know some HTML it shouldn't be problem to make an Mobile website. If your interested in a mobile website, Momac is the place to be!


So what was absolutely ****? Well I expected MUCH more from stands like Orange. What did Orange try to do at the MBC 2008? They had a few meeting rooms, and some showcases with their "great" livebox. Well the stand gave free drinks, so that was the only reason to drop by some times. I don't want to make this a very negative article, cause I had a really good time at the MWC. But these companies who did this should reconsider their stands for next year.

No comments: